A good morning makes a great day. But what
makes a good morning? A big serving of hot, tasty, luscious French toast, that’s it!
French toast is easy to cook, but there’s a load of recipes. You can choose your favorite
one after you’ve tried them all. So let’s start with the basics. You’ll need a French baguette, a loaf, or
any white bread. The important thing here is that the bread should be dry. Soft fresh
bread will turn into mush when you dip it into the mixture of eggs and milk.
You can use stale bread or make some toast in a toaster before cooking it.
The recipe seems easy, but you should be careful not to ruin the french toast. You know they’re
well-cooked if they’re golden brown, and soft inside. Kitchen utensils you’ll need:
– toaster (if you’ve got only soft bread) – a bowl for whisking eggs and milk
– a wire whisk or a mixer – a non-stick frying pan If you don’t have a toaster, and the bread
is fresh, don’t panic. You can fry slices of bread on a frying pan with a teaspoon of
vegetable oil or dry them a little in the oven.
You can make French toast savory and have it as a main dish, or sweet and eat it for
dessert. Basic recipe for French toasts
Ingredients: • 4 slices of dry white bread
• 1 egg • ¼ cup of milk
• 1 teaspoon of sugar • a pinch of salt
• a teaspoon of butter for frying Optional:
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon Cooking method:
1. Crack one egg, mix it with the sugar, salt and cinnamon and whisk slightly. Add vanilla
extract and whisk the mixture again. You can finish whisking when all the sugar dissolves.
2. Add the milk and give it a stir. 3. Cut dry bread into pieces no thicker than
1 cm. Put them in a toaster, if the bread is soft.
4. Dip the slices of bread into the mixture, so that they’re coated with it on both sides.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan, melt a teaspoon of butter, and fry the toast for 1-2 minutes
on each side on low heat. They should get an even, golden-brown color. If the heat is
too high, the toast can burn on the outside and stay wet inside. You can replace regular sugar with powdered
sugar, which will make the preparation of the egg-milk mixture quicker and easier. You
can also replace milk with cream – that’ll make the taste richer, but add extra calories
too. Before serving, put the toast on a paper towel
to soak up the excess fat. So, now that you’ve got the basics of French
toast cooking, you can make the base recipe more complex, or improvise as you like.
Here’re some ideas to make French toast even tastier. French toasts with an egg
This is an awesome idea for breakfast for children. The greatest thing about it is that
it’ll take you less than 10 minutes to cook it.
Ingredients: • 4 slices of dry white bread
• 5 eggs • ¼ cup of milk
• a pinch of salt • a teaspoon of butter or vegetable oil
for frying • a small pinch of black pepper
• tomatoes, cucumbers and fennel for decoration Cooking method:
1. Crack one egg, mix it with salt, and whisk slightly.
2. Add milk and give it a stir. 3. Cut round holes in the bread slices using
a glass. You won’t need the soft parts of bread.
4. Dip the slices of bread into the mixture, so that they’re coated with it and soaked
a bit. 5. Heat a non-stick frying pan, melt a teaspoon
of butter or vegetable oil. Fry the bread slices from one side on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
Turn them upside down and crack a raw egg into each hole. Cover the pan with a lid and
cook the toast for 5 minutes more. 6. Serve hot, decorated with vegetables and
fennel. French toast with bananas If you have a sweet tooth you’ll love this
• 5 slices of dry white bread • 2 eggs
• ¼ cup of milk • 2 bananas
• 3 teaspoons of sugar • 3 tablespoons of butter
• vegetable oil for frying • juice of 1 lemon
• a pinch of salt • scoop of ice-cream or a sprig of mint
for decoration Cooking method:
1. Crack eggs, mix them with salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar, whisk slightly.
2. Add the milk and give it a stir. 3. Cut the dry bread into slices and dip them
into the mixture, so that they’re coated on both sides.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan with vegetable oil. Fry toasts for 1-2 minutes on each side
on a low fire until they get an even golden-brown color.
5. Take another frying pan and melt the butter with sugar and lemon juice. Heat the mixture
on a low fire till you have a light caramel. 6. Cut bananas into round slices and fry them
in the caramel. When they’re all ready, put them on the French toast and serve at
once. You can decorate toasts with a scoop of ice-cream
or a sprig of mint. French toasts with cheese Ingredients:
• 4 slices of dry white bread • 1 egg
• 1/3 cup of milk • 2 tablespoons of butter
• vegetable oil for frying • 5 ounces of hard cheese
• a pinch of salt Cooking method:
1. Crack eggs, mix them with salt, whisk slightly. 2. Add milk and give it a stir.
3. Cut dry bread into slices and dip them into the mixture, until they’re coated on
both sides. 4. Heat a non-stick frying pan with vegetable
oil. Fry toasts for 1-2 minutes on each side over low heat until they get an even golden-brown
color. 5. Turn toasts upside down again and put a
slice of cheese on each of them. Cook for 15-30 seconds more to let the cheese melt
slightly. It’s hard to believe that cooking French toast
was once just a way to make stale bread seem new again. Now it’s a tasty dish that can
be cooked even if you’re a first-timer in the kitchen. No matter which French toast recipe you choose,
remember that it should be served hot. You can always shake up the taste of sweet toast
with jam, ice-cream, different berry sauces, fruit pieces – fresh or stewed, or mint
leaves. Savory toast can be served with fennel, parsley,
ham, cheese, thin slices of meat, and pretty much anything you can find in the fridge.
French toast is a tasty and simple dish that’ll make a perfect breakfast or lunch. Let your
imagination run wild and see what kind of recipes you can create on your own to enjoy
with your family! Which recipe will you try first? Or maybe
you already have your signature recipe? Let me know down in the comments! Hey, if you learned something new today, then
give this video a like and share it with a friend.
But don’t go cooking toasts just yet! We have over 2,000 cool videos for you to check
out. Just click on this left or right video and enjoy! Stay on the Bright Side of life!